Tmux Powerline is an extension to tmux’s statusline which makes it look incredibly cool. Look at this screenshot.
The second one by Lokaltog, originally was a plugin for vim that inspired tmux-powerline, today it is the right choice and has bindings for most shells, vim and even tmux, so it can be used as a single solution for all. The installation instructions are simple.
However when I initially installed it, I was facing a weird issue, something that I didn’t find much information on. No one seemed to have faced a similar issue or reported any relavant fixes. See the screenshot below to get an idea about the issue. Notice how the status line is crooked.
After a lot of digging around I was able to deduce that the issue was because tmux wasn’t supporting utf-8 characters. After a lot of attempts I found a temporary fix by simply using ‘tmux -u‘ which forces tmux to use utf8 instead of trying to figure out utf-8 support from the system locale. And it magically fixed the issue!
From that then I went and manually edited the ‘/etc/defaults/locale‘ and switched my LANG=en_IN to LANG=en_IN.UTF-8. You can use the command ‘locale -a’ to figure out what locale is supported by your system and use one that you think is appropriate, but ensure you use the UTF-8 one. After this change I had to restart my system and the problem was fixed permanently. Hope it helps others who may be facing similar issues.